Log in

No account? Create an account

Yeah, cold! - The Lyorn's Den — LiveJournal

Sun Jul. 25th, 2010

11:52 pm - Yeah, cold!

Previous Entry Share Next Entry

In notable difference to May, I am now really happy that the weather forecast gives us 10 days of cool days and slightly chilly nights. (Not back to 6°C, though -- that would be overdoing it a bit.)

I felt quite energetic today, which means that I did all kinds of "sensible" things (laundry, dishes, attempting pull-ups on the carpet rail behind the house [OK, not so sensible]), but it was nice.

Some titbits from the last week: Last Saturday, someone from the choir ensemble celebrated her and her husband's 50th birthday. They had invited a few dozen people, including us. The party took place in the most remarkable old mill: When I looked it up on the internet, it was called a "Kunstmühle", which I assumed to mean "art mill", and I expected studios, the smell of paint, and weird art things to look at. What it turned out to really mean was "high-tech mill". By 1920s standards. Inside the probably baroque building was a fully automated mill that needed only two people to run it. No schlepping sacks of grain or flour, no manual sieving, no millstones, even -- just a 11kW hydroelectric turbine and a whole, whole lot of wheels and gears and belts, machines for grinding, a belt with cups to carry the grist five stories up two times so that gravity could pull it down again through the system, and control elements which lacked only polished brass to be high steampunk. The main control board used a slab of marble as isolation -- I don't know if that was extravagant, or if it was just what was handy. The mill could grind not only grain, there was also a hammer mill that you could switch to, which hammered bronze into powder for making paint. The neighbours must have hated it.

There was also a bakery attached, where the mill, as a side business, ran a bread mixer the size of a Smart Car, with a giant oven heated by a boiler and an immense amount of pipes right at the other side of the room.

Main bottleneck was the water, actually. The turbine needed 400 litres of water per second, which the small creek behind the mill would have had trouble providing even if the mill had had the water rights to the whole creek and not only to a part of it.

I would have loved to see the whole thing in action, but it's not functional, and there is no intention to make it so. All those open transmissions would be to dangerous even for museum purposes.

Today, a small mom-and-pop marketing firm owns it, has a small office there which overlooks the machinery, and they are refurbishing the place as a hobby, and rent it out to bring in some cash. I worked at a large refurbishing project of a listed building as a teen, and I can appreciate the amount of work and cash needed.

The place has a kitchen that makes my fingers itch to cook a large feast there. All the things I had been longing for in my time as an SCA feastocrat -- six-burner gas stove, gigantic pots, four metres of worktop, two giant fridges, two washbasins large enough to bath a three-year-old kid in, and even a dishwasher. And enough space for six people. I understand why our hostess offered only bread, cheese, cold cuts, sausages and soup, but the things you could do there...

I might rent that place for a party some day. When I turn 50. Except that that will be in February. Have to think about it.

There was also a wild garden with a fire pit, and the creek at the back of it with stairs leading down. I waded a little: Coooold! Perfect for keeping the beer cool, in fact. Unfortunately, when we were just about to sit down to eat, we got a thunderstorm and fled inside.

Our host had asked the guest to bring dessert. I brought a "Pink Pulp": Put frozen raspberries at the bottom of a bowl, cover with vanilla yoghurt, cover with whipped cream, cover with brown sugar. Serve when the raspberries are nearly thawed, but not fully. Timing that is easier than it sounds -- I had the thing in a cool box with some ice packs for five hours, and it was just fine.

We did some singing -- after dinner -- and stayed until the cleaning volunteers kicked us out. Fun.

I would have brought a Chocolate Madness for dessert, but on Friday when walking over to Snow to borrow a cool box and some bowls, I managed to grab my cell phone instead of my keys and locked myself out with the key still on the inside of the door. Tully was completely useless -- he can open that door when it's not locked, but he didn't feel like it. So I had to call a locksmith. Expensive mistake, that -- especially on a Friday night. And I had to wait 40 minutes. At least I had borrowed a book and a bottle of water from Snow. When I was back inside and out of 200 Euros, I did not feel like making Chocolate Madness. Maybe another day.

Other than that, nothing interesting happened the last week. I was home sick for two days, my mother is not coming to visit the coming weekend, so I do not need to angst about it, and my day-and-night rhythm is shot to hell again. And Tully is very, very fluffy.


gospelofbvvt writes: Did you hear about this year's ComicCon?

Apparently The Bible fandom was really determined to be included this year. They got kicked out of their normal, weekly cons that take place across America, because they just could not stick to canon or IC.

And don't even get me started on the LARPing.

Here's the story.

Current Mood: okayokay